Thursday, July 31, 2014

Wild West Parade


Howdy folks!

Here's a new illustration I call Wild West Parade. Below are close-ups and photos of the process. 




This is my line drawing, I transferred it onto watercolor paper to paint the final.


I setup a small model for lighting reference. Building the characters on push pins allowed me to easily reposition them on the foam board base.


To approximate a campfire, I whittled down a small tealight and wrapped the base in aluminum foil. The Sculpty hot dogs got too close and burned, but I lucked out and nothing else caught on fire.


I tried a few different color studies, I chose the layout that had white space in order to display the characters clearly.

 
I separated the elements and painted them on watercolor paper with acrylic paint. Then I scanned them and arranged them in Photoshop. This method allowed me flexibility to make changes quickly.

Thanks for visiting, happy trails!





Thursday, July 24, 2014

Girl and the Heron King


Hello everyone!

It's been a busy month of painting, here's a new illustration I call Girl and the Heron King. Below are close-ups and photos of the process. 




Here are a few of my sketches. I wanted the girl to be riding a large majestic bird, a Great Blue Heron seemed like an ideal choice.


I built a model out of Sculpty, card stock, and paper towels to figure out lighting and perspective.



I did several color studies to decide what elements to use.


Cloud reference...in a Trader Joe's parking lot.


My final line drawing.


My palette when the painting was finished.

Thanks for visiting!



Friday, July 11, 2014

Lucy's Tiger


Howdy folks!

Here's a new illustration I just finished, it's for a story I'm writing about a girl who likes to invent and build mechanical creatures and contraptions. Below are close-ups and photos of the process. 





My final line drawing, color study, and two value studies. For my first value study, I tried staging the scene at night with dark shadows. After thinking about color combinations, I chose bright lighting to showcase the characters and create an upbeat mood.


For lighting and drawing reference, I built a rough model. I used Sculpty, wire, aluminum foil, and bits of cardboard.

Thanks for visiting!